Website The City of Greater Geelong
Have you considered a career in Surveying?? An exciting opportunity is available for a Student Surveyor to gain work experience while studying a degree or diploma. Not enrolled but interested? Upcoming enrolments in June 2022. Ask more!!
Create our future together at the City of Greater Geelong
At City of Greater Geelong, we are committed to working together for a thriving community. We do this by delivering over 130 services to our rapidly growing population and working hard to protect and improve what it is that makes Greater Geelong on Wadawurrung country such a great place to live, work and study.
We’re going through an exciting period of change that will help us serve our community better. From digital modernisation to the contemporary, sustainable office we’re building in Central Geelong, now more than ever is a great time to join our team at the City of Greater Geelong.
Our Community is made of diverse people from all walks of life, and it’s important to us that our workforce represents and celebrates this strength.
We encourage great people from all backgrounds to join us. We encourage authenticity, because inclusion makes us stronger.
If you’re excited about working together to create a Clever and Creative Greater Geelong, and joining a workplace where all people can thrive, then hit apply – we’d love to meet you!
We particularly welcome Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
About the role
This Surveying Student casual role provides an opportunity to gain practical work experience and potentially meet the requirements to gain surveying qualifications.
Working 2-3 days per week and additional hours in the holidays, this role contributes to the Engineering Services Department’s responsibility to effectively and sustainably manage Council’s infrastructure assets, specifically related to road, footpath, bridge, drainage and Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) assets. The role extends to undertaking Cadastral and Engineering Surveying works as requested by various other council departments including Property, Capital Projects, Environment and Sports and Recreation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone whom is currently a student or has a genuine interest in surveying and is willing to undertake study.
Key responsibilities include:
· Provide assistance to the Engineering Surveyor on complex Engineering and monitoring surveys including roads, bridges, footpaths & drainage.
· Independently undertaking Engineering Surveys in relation to municipal civil infrastructure including roads, bridges, footpaths & drainage.
· Preparation and reductions of survey data to be supplied to the Civil Designers for design purposes in CAD format.
· Setting out of Civil works for Councils in house Civil Construction team.
· Provide assistance on RPAS (Drone) Survey missions, and reductions of data in the preparation of orthomosaics and digital elevation models from photogrammetry.
· Provide assistance to the Licensed Surveyor for field surveys, and document preparation for Cadastral projects in relation to the definition of Title Boundaries, Lease Areas, easements, Crown Land and road dealings.
· The performance of other Engineering Service Department support duties which provide a general contribution to the effective operation and success of the Department as a whole.
To be successful in this role, you will be enrolled and undertaking a Surveying Degree or Diploma. Alternatively, you will be willing to enrol in a Diploma of Surveying in June 2022. You will have an interest in high tech equipment as you’ll get to work with and operate some pretty cool gadgets and robotic equipment like drones and a laser scanner. You’ll also enjoy working outdoors at different locations including landfills and the beach.
Other requirements of the position include:
· Ability to set priorities and plan/organise work allocated.
· Ability to liaise and communicate effectively with professional surveyors, engineers and people of similar disciplines in the administration of defined activities.
· Ability to work as an effective member of a professional team.
· Oral and written communication skills to achieve objectives of this position.
· Demonstrated analytical, investigative and problem solving skills.
· Current Victoria (or equivalent) Drivers Licence.
If this sounds like the role for you, then click apply now!
A career with us
With flexible working options, our people have choice in how and where they work. Our employees connect with us from across the Greater Geelong region and beyond. We’re also committed to supporting better accessibility for our customers and our people.
We encourage you to talk to us about any adjustments or additional support you may require during the recruitment process, as well as how this role can be flexible for you.
All employees who may attend a worksite or any face-to-face work-related activity will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
flexible work arrangements
paid parental leave (16 weeks)
a healthy and safe environment
our employee wellbeing program
corporate membership rates at Swim Sport and Leisure facilities
career development opportunities.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the Position Description link to view more information about this position.
Enquires: Brad Millar –Licensed Surveyor | 5272 4815 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Monday 2nd May 2022
We collect demographic data to help us learn who our advertisements are reaching and how we can reach an even more diverse audience. We are committed to building a more diverse team. Your responses to our demographic questions are strictly confidential and will not be individually shared.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.