The Institution of Surveyors Victoria ('The Institution'), including any related bodies corporate, The Institution is committed to protecting the privacy and security of personal information obtained from individuals. This deals with the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as well as access to personal information and security issues.
The expression 'personal information' is used in this policy to refer to information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Collection of personal information
The type of personal information that The Institution collects about you depends on the transactions you undertake with the organisation. For example we will collect personal information from you if you;
- purchase products from The Institution
- register for services
- subscribe to a journal or newsletter
- register at the The Institution website(s)
Generally speaking, the purpose of collection and the minimum information you need to provide to The Institution, will be conveyed to you at the time of collection.
If you choose not to provide personal information requested, The Institution may not be able to provide you with the products/services you require.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Your personal information may be used in order to:
- provide the products and services you have requested
- administer and manage service offerings, including charging, billing and collecting debts
- research and develop The Institution' service offerings
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for The Institution to provide you with a better service
- provide information to ensure compliance with The Institution' Constitution and Bylaws (in the case of members)
- provide you with access to and information about a range of current and future service offerings
- provide The Institution Business and Marketing Partners with information so that they may contact you in relation to their service offerings.
When we disclose your personal information
For the purposes set out above, The Institution may disclose your personal information to third party organisations. The organisations to which The Institution discloses information may include:
- external service providers to whom The Institution has contracted out functions, such as printers, mailing houses, advertising agencies, but only for the purpose of providing the service The Institution has contracted out
- The Institution' Business and Marketing Partners
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
- The Institution' professional advisers
- The Institution related companies
- other professional bodies
You may at any time opt out of certain service offerings. For more information contact your local office.
The Institution takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
We recommend that you;
- Let us know if there are any errors in your personal information;
- Keep us up-to-date with changes to your information.
The Institution will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
The Institution' personnel are trained to treat member and other customer information with the utmost confidentiality.
You can access your personal information
Upon request, The Institution will provide you with access to your personal information, subject to exceptions stated in the Privacy Act. The Institution reserves the right to charge a fee for searching and providing access to information. If you would like access, please make your request in writing for security reasons.
Members can access and update their contact details and member profile online.
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact us:
Mrs Patricia Murnane
13-21 Bedford Street
NORTH MELBOURNE VIC 3051
Telephone: 03 9326 9227
Facsimile: 03 9326 9216